Google+

Friday, April 22, 2011

FBFF: Inspiration & Contest Update

Inspiration - To further mark one year of FBFF we are going to answer the same set of questions asked this time last year as they are still pertinent today and usually ever changing. 

1. Which celebrity (celebrities) do you look to for fashion inspiration?

I usually don't actually look to celebrities for inspiration but I love Angelina Jolie. She is absolutely divine and I love that her fashion changes with her mood. She does tough girl chic effortlessly.


Angelina Jolie as Gia Carangi
 She usually wears black but here she is in yellow:


Chris and I just watched The Tourist last night. The fashion in this movie is so glamorous! I am now coveting several different pairs of long gloves. Oh yeah, we enjoyed the movie quite much. 
It is impossible for Angelina to look bad. Love her. 
2. When it comes to your own personal style, what inspires you?
It is difficult to encapsulate all that inspires me. I have an inner voice that I have nicknamed the Fashion Muse and She speaks to me. Sometimes it is just an idea of a look. A ruffle, a collar or a texture or fabric. Also, I love color. I wore tons of black for years but these days brights and jewel tones really make my eyes light up. 
I wear some quirky things:
Here I am channeling a Balmain Vogue September 2010 photo but actually I had the pieces to recreate the look because of a Prince (formerly known as the Symbol formerly known as Prince) Rogers Nelson inspiration from 2009. 

3. How do you hope to inspire your readers?

I want my readers to be fashionably fearless. I want them to know you don't have to empty your bank account in order to wear the trends or be fashionable. Most of the items I wear are either thrifted or come off the clearance rack. A few of them I even sew myself. The blouse in the above photo I picked up in a thrift store for $5. The skirt in the photo below I made myself. 
I think most of all I hope someone out there on the internet will see how I have styled something and say "Hey - I like that! I can do that, too!" or "That's how I can wear that blouse/skirt/belt I have had in my closet forever!" It is why I started blogging in the first place. 

4. Outside the realm of fashion who/what inspires you?

Nature and music (or musicians) are most inspirational for me. I love to garden and play the piano in addition to my fashion/shopping/blogging obsessions. Seeing flowers in a garden blooming will give me ideas for color combinations. Music and musicians make me feel inspired in different ways which affect my attitude which affects my clothing choices.

5. And since Idol is ending… Which songs inspire you? 

I am a HUGE Michael Jackson fan so anything he sings. I love Prince too. Lady Gaga inspires me to put it out there on the line and be brave. Adam Lambert - I LOVE his voice and his music. "Strut" makes me feel like I walk a catwalk as I go down the sidewalk. 
I also have a love of classical music and have since I was a teenager. My mom and step-dad were concerned - they didn't like classical music. Why was I listening to it??? Where was the heavy metal and angst? Currently I am most often digging the Bach Cello Suites and Joshua Bell's CD Romance of the Violin. That is the BEST CD for a romantic dinner - hands down.


Project Style Update:
Those of you who have been following me here and on Twitter know that I am a Semi-Finalist for Project Style Round 1 at Short Pump Town Center. 
As of Thursday, April 21st I was in the lead by 37 votes> Thanks to all of YOU who have been voting for me everyday. 
If you are a new reader of Fashion RECON, I would appreciate your help as well in maintaining my lead. If I win Round 1, I will go to the Finals in September for a chance to win $1000 shopping spree at my local mall. 
To lend a hand and help me win>Please visit Shoptopia. You will need to take a minute or two to create an account but they do NOT flood your email inbox. 
Once you have a login, please cast your vote for me HERE.  
Please vote once a day, every day until May 1. 

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it more than I can say. 
Have a blessed Easter Weekend. 
For those of you celebrating Passover: Chag Sameach


**Fashion Beauty Friend Friday is an opportunity for fashion and beauty bloggers to share their thoughts on a specific topic and read what others have to say on that same topic. For information on how to get involved and be a part of the discussion go to http://www.modlychic.com/friend-friday-fbff